Bacon Clam Chowder Recipe
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until potato is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, drain clams, reserving juice. Place clams in a small food processor; process until finely chopped.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add reserved clam juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until soup is thickened. Stir in butter, cayenne and clams; heat through. Top servings with bacon. Yield: 3 cups.
1 cup (prepared with sodium-free bouillon and fat-free half-and-half) equals 220 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 416 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.