- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Drain clams, reserving juice; set aside. Place the clams in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, potato, celery, onion, bouillon and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the reserved clam juice.
- Combine cornstarch and cream until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the butter, cayenne and clams. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews forBacon Clam Chowder
"This was an easy and delicious chowder. I omitted the thyme and used a little Old Bay seasoning instead. It's definitely on my list to make again."
"I had to substitute a few ingredients but it turned out very good and very easy. A great way to use canned clams. I will definitely use this recipe again and again. Thank you for a great recipe."