Asian Quinoa Recipe
I love to cook and come up with new recipes. I serve this dish at least once a month and sometimes more. For a different twist, I'll occasionally add a scrambled egg or use soy sauce instead of the rice vinegar. —Sonya Labbe, Santa Monica, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing YIELD:4 servings
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Add the red pepper, water chestnuts, peas and onions; fluff with a fork. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
2/3 cup equals 138 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC