- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat. Add the red pepper, water chestnuts, peas and onions; fluff with a fork. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forAsian Quinoa
"Excellent and easy. Janet. VFE"
"I love this recipe. I often cook the quinoa ahead of time then add the veggies and sauce later."
"I love quinoa but recognize that it is a new grain to many people. For those of you who struggled with it, please know that you have to rinse it VERY WELL in order to get the little grains to open up and absorb liquid. I place the quinoa in a mesh sieve and rinse it thoroughly for at least three minutes before cooking it. Hopefully, this will help those who have had problems. : )"
"I agree with the cooking time mentioned not being long enough. But other than that, my husband & I love this recipe. He even requested it. I didn't have bell pepper or snow peans in the fridge tonight, so subbed celery, matchstick carrots and bean sprouts. Received another set of thumbs up!"
"It smelled really good, but the directions on this are just not written well. I tried TWICE to make this dish exactly as written (thinking I must have done something wrong the first time) and the quinoa never properly cooked, even after 30+ minutes of simmering. Finally it just burned. Boo!"
"Excellent flavor - I used a couple extra spices and condiments from the cupboard and fridge but the basis of this recipe was great. My family loved it! Even the meat-and-potatoes man-of-the-house!!!"
"This was a hit at a dinner party. Added the vegetables at the very last so the crunch was there. Great flavor. Would do again and again."
"Both my husband and I liked this. I like the idea of adding chicken to it."
"I had high hopes for this recipe. I've just discovered quinoa and have been thrilled with it. I would definitely make this recipe again, but I would add the sauces after the quinoa had cooked. I had the quinoa at a covered simmer for over 30 minutes and it just wouldn't soak up all the water. I think that maybe the sauces or oil prevented the quinoa to cook properly. The flavor of the sauces and veggies were awesome!"
"I thought this was awesome, and my husband even liked it!! I added sauteed chicken breast and mushrooms. Delicious!!"