Apricot Squares Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, orange peel, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside one-third for the topping.
- 2. Press remaining dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine preserves, lemon juice and peel; spread evenly over crust.
- 3. Crumble reserved dough over filling. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 212 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Apricot Squares
"I have made these bars countless times. They are that good! Everyone in my family loves 'em!"
"great; made in a glass 9 x 13 pan cooked @ 325 - 20 mins longer"
"These bars were easy to make and very tasty. I thought 4 tsp of orange peel might be a little much but the tartness with the sweet crust was very good."