- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extract; mix well. Combine the flour, orange peel, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Set aside one-third for the topping.
- Press remaining dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine preserves, lemon juice and peel; spread evenly over crust. Crumble reserved dough over filling. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forApricot Squares
"I have made these bars countless times. They are that good! Everyone in my family loves 'em!"
"great; made in a glass 9 x 13 pan cooked @ 325 - 20 mins longer"
"These bars were easy to make and very tasty. I thought 4 tsp of orange peel might be a little much but the tartness with the sweet crust was very good."