Apple Cake with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 large lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1. For cake, beat eggs; add sugar, oil and vanilla. In separate bowl, combine the flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture all at once; blend and stir. Add apples, nuts and raisins to mixture; blend well. Pour batter into well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan (13-in. x 9-in. baking pan may be used); decrease baking time by 15-20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. For sauce, grate peel from lemon; measure out 1-1/2 teaspoons rind. Squeeze lemon; measure 3 tablespoons juice. Set aside. Beat egg yolks lightly; set aside. In separate bowl, blend sugar, cornstarch and salt. Measure water into saucepan; gradually stir in sugar mixture. Cook, stirring, until mixture boils clear and thickens. Remove from heat. Beat small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return yolk mixture to saucepan; cook and stir about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add lemon peel, juice and butter. Pour sauce over cake. Yield: 20-24 servings.
1 piece: 285 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Apple Cake with Lemon Sauce
"This recipe is fairly easy to make. It was my first time making a dessert sauce, so I was a little nervous about how it would turn out. It is delicious. I didn't add raisins but did add an extra cup of sliced apples"
"One of my favorite apple cake recipes!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.