Angel Food Ice Cream Cake
I made this cake for my grandson's birthday and it was a hit-the children loved the ice cream inside. It looks as good as it tastes!
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- Sugar or sugar substitute to taste, optional
- Cut the cake in half; tear one half into small pieces and set aside.
- Cut the other half into 12-14 thin slices; arrange in the bottom of
- a waxed paper-lined 13-in. x 9-in. dish, overlapping as needed.
- Spread softened ice cream over cake, pressing down to smooth. Gently
- press the small cake pieces into ice cream. Cover and freeze. Just
- before serving, slice strawberries and sweeten to taste. Cut dessert
- into squares and top with strawberries. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: On serving (prepared with sugar-free ice cream and sugar substitute) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit; also, 183 calories, 131 mg sodium, 15 mg cholesterol, 34 mg carbohydrate, 6 gm protein, 4 gm fat.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.