Potato Leek Skillet
Before sampling this recipe from a neighbor, I never had eaten leeks. I've since fallen in love with their mellow, slightly sweet flavor. This is a nice brunch dish.Sharon Boyajian, Linden, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed and cooked
- 3 large leeks (white part only), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add the potatoes, leeks, water, oil, salt, pepper and dill. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until leeks are tender,
- about 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Leeks are part of the onion family and resemble a large green onion. Sand is often found between their many layers. So if a leek is to be slice, cut it open lengthwise down one side and rinse under cold running water, separating the leaves.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 252 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 643 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.