Zucchini with Basil Cream
I enjoy cooking and have a big garden every year. I like to fix this colorful side dish that makes the most of fresh zucchini and carrots. —Annabelle Erhart of Missoula, Montana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 2-inch julienne strips
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, garlic and cayenne to a boil; cook, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by a third. Add carrots. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add zucchini; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine the cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add Parmesan cheese and basil; stir gently. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 72 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Zucchini with Basil Cream in Light & Tasty June/July 2002