Zucchini Sausage Squares
This dish is a great way to use up end-of-season squash, even when everyone says they can't possibly look at another zucchini. It's simple yet tasty.—Fran Sawlaw, Paris, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slice (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini and onion in butter. Stir in the sausage, parsley and seasonings. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cheese and sausage mixture.
- Unroll crescent roll dough and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Press onto the bottom and up the sides to form a crust; seal seams and perforations. Brush with mustard. Spoon sausage mixture over crust. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 423 calories, 32g fat (15g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Zucchini Sausage Squares in Casserole Cookbook
Aug 13, 2010
This recipe is very good. I can't wait to share it with others.
Aug 22, 2009
I put the crescent rolls in a 10 inch pie plate and made a zucchini sausage pie. Cooked for 30-40 minutes and let stand for 5 before serving. Awesome!!