Zucchini Sausage Squares
This dish is a great way to use up end-of-season squash, even when everyone says they can't possibly look at another zucchini. It's simple yet tasty.—Fran Sawlaw, Paris, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slice (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini and onion in butter. Stir in the sausage, parsley and seasonings. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cheese and sausage mixture.
- Unroll crescent roll dough and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Press onto the bottom and up the sides to form a crust; seal seams and perforations. Brush with mustard. Spoon sausage mixture over crust. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 423 calories, 32g fat (15g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Aug 13, 2010
This recipe is very good. I can't wait to share it with others.
Aug 22, 2009
I put the crescent rolls in a 10 inch pie plate and made a zucchini sausage pie. Cooked for 30-40 minutes and let stand for 5 before serving. Awesome!!