This dish is a great way to use up end-of-season squash, even when everyone says they can't possibly look at another zucchini. It's simple yet tasty.—Fran Sawlaw, Paris, Illinois
Recommended: 30 Fresh Ways to Use Up Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slice (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini and onion in butter. Stir in the sausage, parsley and seasonings. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cheese and sausage mixture.
- Unroll crescent roll dough and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Press onto the bottom and up the sides to form a crust; seal seams and perforations. Brush with mustard. Spoon sausage mixture over crust. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Sausage Squares in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p93
Reviews forZucchini Sausage Squares
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 13, 2010
"This recipe is very good. I can't wait to share it with others."