These unique snacks have the best of both worlds...a crunchy outside and a cheesy inside! Even folks who don't like zucchini will gobble them up.—Janet Rinehart, Chillicote, Ohio
Recommended: Your May Meal Plan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 ounces Asiago cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into eight 1/4-in. slices; discard ends. Layer cheese and sage on four zucchini slices; top with remaining zucchini. Wrap two pieces of prosciutto around each zucchini stack. Carefully cut each stack widthwise into fourths.
- Place the flour, egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip stacks in flour, egg whites, then bread crumbs. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Saltimbocca in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p86