Zucchini Ricotta Bake Recipe
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (28 ounces) reduced-sodium meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Drain; pat dry. In a bowl, combine ricotta, egg substitute, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley, oregano, basil and pepper; set aside. Spread a third of the spaghetti sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Cover with half of the zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers of sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Cover with remaining sauce. Combine remaining crumbs and Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 201 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 fat, 1/2 vegetable.
Reviews for Zucchini Ricotta Bake
"Made this wonderful dish. I did not have eggs or egg substitute so did not use any. I added 1 lb ground turkey. I made my own sauce. Did not add bread crumbs and did not precook the zucchini. I sliced the zucchini using a mandolin so the thickness of each slice was the same. I cooked it about 10 minutes longer with foil on and the zucchini was done but not mushy. Added some garlic powder. My husband and I loved it! We couldn't stop eating it."
"This was really good! I added some garlic, too."
"This is an excellent casserole! I added ground browned sweet Italian sausage and used homemade ricotta! This one will be kept in the recipe box !"
"Nice healthy alternative to traditional lasagna and a good way to use up excess zucchini!"
"Thought it was delicious, thank you for sharing! I had no mozzarella, so I used extra sharp white cheddar, and vodka tomato sauce. YUM!"
"Very tasty. Followed directions but forgot parsely. Added a layer of lasagna noodles on the bottom to absorb excess moisture.Worked wonderful."
"A quick and easy lasagna. I grated the zucchini in the food processor, which did away with the need to cook it. I added two layers of no-boil noodles on top of the first two sauce layers. Raw zucchini is full of water and the noodles helped keep the dish from being too wet. I also added more dried herbs and I used real eggs. My husband and kids loved it."
"Very good dish. Was enjoyed by all at dinner. I followed the advice of the person's review below mine saying that her zucchini was mushy when she precooked before assembling the dish. I did not precooked the zucchini thinking the same thing and my zucchini was not cooked all the way through, still pretty crunchy and I did not slice it thick. I will definitely precook the zucchini the next time."
"I relay enjoyed this recipe. So did my husband. Though I found the Zucchini a little to mushy. I probably won't steam it the next time I decide to make this. I found it a little redundant."