- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (28 ounces) reduced-sodium meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Drain; pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, egg substitute, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley, oregano, basil and pepper; set aside.
- Spread a third of the spaghetti sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Cover with half of the zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers of sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Cover with remaining sauce.
- Combine remaining crumbs and Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Ricotta Bake
"This was really good! I added some garlic, too."
"This is an excellent casserole! I added ground browned sweet Italian sausage and used homemade ricotta! This one will be kept in the recipe box !"
"Nice healthy alternative to traditional lasagna and a good way to use up excess zucchini!"
"Thought it was delicious, thank you for sharing! I had no mozzarella, so I used extra sharp white cheddar, and vodka tomato sauce. YUM!"
"Very tasty. Followed directions but forgot parsely. Added a layer of lasagna noodles on the bottom to absorb excess moisture.Worked wonderful."
"A quick and easy lasagna. I grated the zucchini in the food processor, which did away with the need to cook it. I added two layers of no-boil noodles on top of the first two sauce layers. Raw zucchini is full of water and the noodles helped keep the dish from being too wet. I also added more dried herbs and I used real eggs. My husband and kids loved it."
"Very good dish. Was enjoyed by all at dinner. I followed the advice of the person's review below mine saying that her zucchini was mushy when she precooked before assembling the dish. I did not precooked the zucchini thinking the same thing and my zucchini was not cooked all the way through, still pretty crunchy and I did not slice it thick. I will definitely precook the zucchini the next time."
"I relay enjoyed this recipe. So did my husband. Though I found the Zucchini a little to mushy. I probably won't steam it the next time I decide to make this. I found it a little redundant."
"This is an outstanding recipe. So good"