- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Pizza Casserole
"I did as someone suggested, made half the recipe & put in 8x8 baking dish. I used Prego, and squeezed the zucchini with paper towels to remove more moisture. FABULOUS! Even my zucchini-hating hubby loves this! Will be making this again!!"
"Have made this several times and everyone loves it!"
"Turned out amazing. Kids loved it. I cooked the red pepper with the ground beef and onions."
"Tasty - made you forget you didn't have noodles or a pizza crust in there. Hubby liked it."
"Very tasty!! To those who thought it was too soggy/goopy, squeeze the zucchini in your fist to remove the extra liquid. We loved this."
"Excellent recipe. I wouldn't call it pizza per se, reminded me more of carb-less lasagna. I cut the amount of ground beef in half, doubled the onions and added about as much mushrooms. I used jarred Barilla traditional pasta sauce. Next time I'm thinking of using only half the cheese in the zucchini mix and replacing that amount with more zucchini, and double the salt. I'll also add garlic as many commenters have suggested. It holds up well as leftovers."
"So delicious! I did use fresh grated Parmesan cheese and topped with fresh sliced mozzarella. Didn't add any shredded mozzarella to the zucchini mixture only used Cheddar and Parmesan and still came out great!"
"Made it with Italian sausage instead of ground beef and added 2 tsp minced garlic. Yummy! Everyone loved it! I like the zucchini crust especially since it cuts down on carbs. Will definitely be making this again!"
"This was fantastic! We don't eat a lot of pizza because of the carbs, so this is an incredible substitute for pizza! We will definitely be making it again!"