- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Pizza Casserole
"This was fantastic! We don't eat a lot of pizza because of the carbs, so this is an incredible substitute for pizza! We will definitely be making it again!"
"Very tasty, versatile crust. Great way to use up the zucchini overload. Even those who don't care for zucchini will enjoy it. Have made it with a layer of ricotta, fresh tomatoes and basil instead of the the meat sauce for a vegetarian alternative."
"I also added some extra Italian seasoning and garlic powder. My husband, who usually does not care for vegetables, went back for more!"
"This is also good as a Mexican casserole. Switch your cheeses to Mexican mix cheeses and pepper jack. Same with sauce, try rotel or even an enchilada sauce with chunky salsa."
"Just made this and will be making it again but found it a bit bland, so the next time I make it I'll be adding a little heat and different (more pungent) cheese combination. I didn't saute the red peppers and loved it that way. Hubby just went for seconds - a good sign. Update: Just realized I used tomato sauce instead of a spiced Italian sauce. My bad. Trying it again - this time I'll read the directions more carefully."
"WE LOVED THIS!!!!!!! Will definitely make again.My husband said it's better than spaghetti. Used canned pizza sauce and Parmesan on top. Could use a little more zucchini. I think I need to start growing zucchini. LOL"
"This was amazing!! HUGE hit!!!"
"Absolutely delicious and so easy!!"