- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
"My family devoured this delicious dish. After reading the reviews I made sure to dry the zucchini well, and I jazzed up my sauce with some fresh herbs (basil, parsley and oregano) and garlic, and instead of ground beef I used hot and spicy breakfast sausage I had on hand. Can't wait to make it again with a layer of sauteed mushrooms! Thanks for this great recipe."
"This was one of the worst recipe I have ever tried from your site. It was a total mush bunch of green goop and I had to throw it out. What a waste of my time it preparing it."
"This was excellent! Recommend: cooking red pepper with beef and adding garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes to amp up the flavors! We really enjoyed this!"
"I made this yesterday with zucchini fresh from the garden. I actually cut the recipe in half, and it turned out just fine. I also did not use hamburger but instead, we used 1 cup of pepperoni ."
"Very good and easy! I used tofu for the hamburger!"
"I made this tonight and I must say it is delicious. I did take a couple of suggestions from others: 1) I drained the zucchini for about 30 minutes then I pressed out as much moisture as I could in the strainer - then transferred to paper towel and blotted some more - my casserole was not runny; 2) I added 1/2 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp oregano and 2 minced garlic cloves to tomato sauce mixture and sauteed the green peppers with the meat and onion. The sauce was anything but bland. I will be making this recipe for a long time to come. Thank you."
"I've made this recipe several times as written. It's a great way to use zucchini and it's always a hit."
"Excellent! Great low carb dish to satisfy cravings for pizza. Will be making this and changing up the meat/veggies to make different varities(this time I used ground beef,mushrooms and black olives. I also added seasoning to tomato sauce (red pepper flakes, garlic powder and Italian seasoning."
"Awesome! We practically cleaned out the bowl. No left-overs, so sad."
"This recipe is great; it's delicious and different. We tried it with sausage instead of beef first, and that was way too salty; that is not the fault of the recipe though. I add Italian seasoning to the sauce and cook the green pepper with the onion."