Zucchini Pizza Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 315 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Sep 2, 2019
Love this. I 'drain' zucc by spreading out large kitchen towel or two, cover with a couple layers of paper towel, then AFTER I've pushed all the liquid I can out through the colander, I spread the zucc on the towel layers and roll it up - TIGHT. May take a couple times, but it really does the trick and then your crust will be crisper. Also, my grandsons think pepperoni is a food group so we don't use beef or sausage - just spread pizza sauce over crust, put a think layer of pepperoni on this, then your cheeses and veggies. Sometimes bacon with the pepperoni (WHY NOT?!?!) After it's done everyone puts their own toppings on as desired. They love to help make it, too, so are happy to eat it :)
Sep 2, 2019
So easy to adapt to your tastes / groceries on hand. Tonight, I swapped the quantites of cheddar and mozzarella, and added a 2.5oz bag of bacon bits to the meat mixture for "bacon cheeseburger pizza." Hubby took one bite and announced, "it's a keeper." I plan to try a version with Mexi-blend cheese, and taco seasoning in the meat, maybe salsa or taco sauce instead of tomato sauce.
Aug 28, 2019
Delicious! The kids will love it. Healthy
Aug 17, 2019
Great recipe! I use half ground beef and half hot Italian sausage.
Aug 14, 2019
Wonderful low carb recipe! Excellent with ground Italian sausage.
Aug 14, 2019
Very good BUT ADD TO YOUR NOTES ,ABOUT CRUST : Z ucchini MUST BE squeezed VERY WELL...using SEVERAL double layers of paper towels, and repeat several times...Even after draining. Then "crust" should be kinda thin ISH BUT EVEN everywhere in pan. Or thicker parts do not crisp up well. THEN be sure to COOL crust completely, so that meat
Aug 9, 2019
Aug 8, 2019
I cooked the pepper in with the hamburger, because we don't like ours crunchy. It was very good. We also did add a little more salt and some pepper.
Jul 31, 2019
This ain't pizza until you use a pizza crust... So, I did. Well, sort of. I placed a ready-made roll out pie crust over the top, increased the temp, and saved some of the cheese to sprinkle on top for the last few minutes of baking.
Jul 20, 2019
Tried and true recipe. I made it with ground buffalo and a bit more spices, but how can you go wrong? Definitely try it.