Zucchini Picadillo Sandwich
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef, sausage, onion and garlic; drain. Add tomatoes, zucchini, rice, water, basil and salt; cook until zucchini and rice are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, form eight 3-in. balls from aluminum foil; place on a baking sheet. Drape a flour tortilla over the top of each ball; secure sides with toothpicks to form a shell.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove the toothpicks; place shells on plates. Fill with zucchini mixture; serve warm. Zucchini mixture can also be served as a dip with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 313 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 11, 2014
I am always looking for new zucchini recipes. This was unusual AND good.I used it like a haystack instead of with the flour tortilla, putting it in layers including fritos, grated cheese and sour cream for toppings. You could include olives.I made up some regular rice instead of minute rice.Next time I will try it as a filling for fried tacos.