The ingredients in this recipe from Clarice Scweitzer of Sun City, Arizona may surprise you, but not as much as the delightful flavor and refreshing crunch the blend produces!
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini, onion and celery. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain. Add the oranges, beans and water chestnuts. Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Pour over salad; cover and refrigerate 24 hours before serving. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Orange Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p13