Try this swift skillet sensation when you're strapped for time. "This vegetable side dish goes with practically any meal," notes Pauletta Bushnell of Lebanon, Oregon. For more south-of-the-border flavor, simple increase the taco sauce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely shredded
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup taco sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- In a large skillet, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. stir in the taco sauce and mustard; top with tomato wedges. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 122 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Zucchini Mexicali in Quick Cooking September/October 2001