Meet the Cook: A friend gave me the recipe for this pate after she'd served it at a formal wedding reception. But I make it most often to spread on crackers at picnics, potlucks and other casual get-togethers. My family - my husband, son and I - live on a small acreage. We all enjoy gardening (I grow my own herbs and vegetables). Hunting for antiques is a frequent activity of ours, too! -Melissa Sullivan, Iuka, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling
- 4 medium zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Line a bowl with a double thickness of cheese cloth. Coarsely shred zucchini into prepared bowl. Sprinkle with the vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss gently; cover with a towel and set aside for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor with the chopping blade, mince parsley and chives. Gather ends of cheesecloth, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Add drained zucchini to food processor and process until pureed. Add the cream cheese, pepper and remaining salt; process until smooth.
- Press pate into a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with crackers.
Nutrition Facts1 tablespoon: 29 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Zucchini/Herb Pate in Country Woman July/August 1992