Zucchini Garden Chowder Recipe
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Pinch sugar, optional
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the zucchini, onion, parsley and basil in butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in water. Add the bouillon and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, milk and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is tender.
- 3. Just before serving, add cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in sugar. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 258 calories, 16g fat (11g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Zucchini Garden Chowder
"Really tasty. I just used 1 1/2 cups of milk instead of evaporated milk."
"Excellent!!! I too waited to add the cheese. Will make again!"
"Excellent soup, very flavorful and pretty simple to prepare."
"This is very good for a cool Fall day. It's great for a week night meal because it is so quick. I did use fat free evap milk and never added cheese, it was good without it."
"good considering there is a lot of zucchiniused half of cheese suggested, might try even less"
"Made this 1998 and have given the recipe to many. I don't put in the cheese until I'm ready to serve it otherwise it get gummy."
"So good! I do not use any parm cheese and less cheddar, more healthy and still so tasty."
"I have been making this recipe for years. I have also frozen it in individual containers for lunches."
"This is the best! I make this for family gatherings and I even double the recipe and I don't ever have any leftovers!"
"P.S. I also omit the chedder cheese."
"Everytime I make this recipe for company I have to make sure I have copies to hand out. This chowder is so easy to make, and so tasty and delicious. A good way to use up zucchini. I use fat free evaporated milk instead of regular evaporated milk, and last time I made it I added some fresh diced tomatoes. Also, I have substituted drained canned corn instead of frozen"
"I have made this recipe many times. It is a hit with everyone, even a few who say they don't like zucchini.I have subsituted Italian seasoning in place of the basil and it is excellent as well. I have also used part yellow squash.I reduced the cheese - personal preference."
"These are some of my favorite veggies, so it was no surprise that I loved this soup. I reduced the shredded cheddar cheese to 1 cup and thought that was enough for my tastes."
"I would definitely make this again -- in fact, I have made it twice already now! Everyone enjoyed it and, as someone mentioned, it is so adaptable -- so many different veggies could go in there. I cut down a bit on the butter and also on the cheese. I can't have frozen corn, so used canned whole kernel corn one time, and cooked corn cut off the cob the other time. Both worked perfectly. Yesterday I made this soup for my 87-year-old dad. He will usually comment when something is good, but this time he said, "That soup was delicious!" My grandkids liked it too. Highly recommended!"
"this was a great recipe will definitely make again even the fussiest eaters in my home ate it and rated it a keeper"
"Excellent is the correct descriptive."
"We first tried this recipe when I was looking for new and different dinners to try. We LOVE this chowder! The only thing we change about the recipe is the shredded cheddar cheese. We tried it that way and the chowder was lumpy, so we use velveeta instead, it melts so nicley. It's great on the day you make it and even better as a leftover."
"Very tasty soup and great way to help use up the gardens bounty"
"This soup is so amazing! It has a smooth, creamy texture and I love the combination of veggies. I will definitely make this again (next weekend)!"