- 4 medium zucchini (about 1-1/2 pounds), sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil until crisp-tender. Arrange half of the zucchini in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, green pepper, onion, parsley, and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Stir in tomato sauce. Spoon over tomato layer. Top with remaining tomatoes and zucchini.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Garden Casserole
"Made this according to the recipe and must say it needs improvement. Maybe brown the meat and vegs together before mixing and baking. Made it twice to give it a fair chance, but not again."
"I'm guessing you mix the tomatoe juice in with the meat combo? That's what I did anyway..we'll see how it turns out. I also added some Mexicorn to mine :)"
"I made this for my family with a few changes. I left out the cinn. and all spice and used canned tomatoes instead of fresh. I was easy and everyone LOVED it!"