I was raised on a farm and learned to cook at a young age. My mother was so good at substituting ingredients if she thought something was missing in a recipe, so I tried the same when I first baked this bread. I added the fruit cocktail for more flavor and moisture—and it worked.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped peeled zucchini
- 1 can (17 ounces) fruit cocktail, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar, oil and vanilla; beat well. Stir in zucchini and fruit cocktail. Combine dry ingredients; stir into zucchini mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Zucchini Fruit Cocktail Loaf in Reminisce Extra August 1994, p49
Reviews forZucchini Fruit Cocktail Loaf
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 2, 2009
"I really wanted this to be good, but it just wasn't :("