Zucchini con Carne
Living in the land of green chilies and hot peppers, my family has grown to love the flavors of the Southwest. We now have a tradition of buying 50 pounds of chilies every year and roasting them on the grill. It keeps us stocked for the year.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large zucchini, cut into chunks
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, undrained
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Warmed flour tortillas, optional
- Toss beef with flour until coated. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef in oil.
- Add water, garlic, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the meat is tender. Add zucchini, corn, onion and chilies; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and serve with tortillas if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 196 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 24, 2012
Pretty good recipe, although there was not enough liquid in it to get it to boil...I ended up adding another cup of water to provide more liquid. The flavor was pretty good, albeit a little spicy. A great way to prepare zucchini!