Zucchini Chocolate Cake with Orange Glaze
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the zucchini, walnuts and orange zest.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 282 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 16, 2016
I might need a second opinion, but I think this cake would of been a lot better without the orange and cinnamon. Was very moist, didn't have any problem with it being done. Lowered the rack down one from middle. I didn't like the glaze either.
Aug 2, 2015
This cake was very moist as others stated. I would not make the glaze again as it just made a mess. I think if I make it again I will dry the zucchini a bit before adding it to the mix. We thought it was very rich & chocolatey & really liked it. Did not add the walnuts..just don't like them
Mar 23, 2014
Made this cake exactly per instructions..heavy and very dense...flavor is good but I think 3 cups of zucchini is way too much. I might make it again with half the zucchini. I baked it longer than called for in the recipe and it still was gummy and barely cooked in the center. Very disappointing after all the work.
Aug 16, 2013
I followed the recipe exactly (except for omitting the nuts) but unfortunately I do not think I will be making this recipe again. I baked it for 1 hr, per the recipe but it was not baked in the centre. I ended up baking it for 1.5 hours and figured it had to be done. I just cut a slice to try, and disappointingly, the inside is still very doughy! Just put it back in the oven to try to salvage it but sadly I'm afraid it's going to end up being inedible :(
Aug 6, 2013
I thought the cake turned out really good. Do not over cook and it is moist. I did not care for the glaze. I think I will try the glaze again without the vanilla - just didn't seem to fit. Will try with orange juice only to moisten the powdered sugar into a glaze. Will make a little less glaze also. Good cake for a party dessert.
Aug 7, 2012
The only part of this recipe I did not follow was adding the orange zest & glaze as I don't like chocolate & orange together. The batter was like glue until I mixed in the zucchini and there was very little chocolatey flavour. I usually try to give favourable reviews but just can't this time.. so sorry.
Nov 1, 2011
The spice in this cake was too strong, and I couldn't even taste the orange glaze. This flavor might appeal to some people but most certainly not to me.
Oct 19, 2011
this turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!! it's moist, tastes great, and looks super pretty. everyone at work was very impressed. I highly recommend this!
Oct 14, 2011
Everyone raved about it! Will definitely be making this again!
Aug 27, 2011
Was my first time making a zucchini cake. Mine didn't come out very moist, but it was still tasty. I'll definitely try again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.