Zucchini Chip Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil, orange zest and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the zucchini, nuts and chocolate chips. Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 181 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 30, 2014
Moist and flavorful. I used less sugar and baked in muffin pans. They turned out great. Friends and family loved them. Thanks for sharing.
Aug 4, 2013
It was fantastic. My son said it's as awesome as a rock monster, and no, I have no idea how awesome they are for comparison.
Nov 6, 2012
I used 2 c white flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour, and reduced the sugar to 1 cup. I squeezed the juice of the orange into the batter as well. I baked as muffins instead of loafs. The kids loved them!
Sep 24, 2012
I have made this several times! It is so easy and delicious!
Jul 24, 2009
What a great way to use the garden zucchini this season. This bread is adored by all. I omitted the nuts the second time I made it. Great with or without!
Sep 9, 2008
I was a little worried about using orange peel in this recipe because my kids are a bit picky about mixing certain flavors together buit it turned out great & they all loved it. I used dried orange peel that I ground up, milk cocolate chips, & cashews.