Zucchini Cheese Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Place zucchini in a double thickness of cheesecloth; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Gather ends of cheesecloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a bowl, combine zucchini, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and eggs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until crust is set.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, garlic powder, and oregano; bring to a boil. Spoon over crust.
- Top with green pepper and mushrooms; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until heated through and cheeses are melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 326 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 848mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Aug 19, 2017
Husband added ketchup, but I thought it was tasty as is.
Feb 11, 2014
I used pizza sauce instead of the tomato sauce, and fresh mushrooms. It was a wonderful dish, my whole family loved. It is also a good way to use up leftover zucchini.
Aug 25, 2011
very tasty, my husband loved it. Leftovers reheat well in the microwave too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.