- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Place zucchini in a double thickness of cheesecloth; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Gather ends of cheesecloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a bowl, combine zucchini, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and eggs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until crust is set.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, garlic powder, and oregano; bring to a boil. Spoon over crust.
- Top with green pepper and mushrooms; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until heated through and cheeses are melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Cheese Casserole
"Husband added ketchup, but I thought it was tasty as is."
"I used pizza sauce instead of the tomato sauce, and fresh mushrooms. It was a wonderful dish, my whole family loved. It is also a good way to use up leftover zucchini."
"very tasty, my husband loved it. Leftovers reheat well in the microwave too."