- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Finely chop pulp.
- In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add 1/2 cup cheese, ketchup, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Boats
"The filling is great, used marinara sauce instead of ketchup. This wouldTast great as a appetizer on toasted banquettes- the zucchiniBoats are tasteless, there is enough zucchini in the mix."
"Really good ! No peppers on hand so added more chopped onions and mushrooms plus two fresh chopped tomatoes. Mixed in marinara sauce (instead of katsup) and spooned over top after baking. While chopping vege's I parboiled zucchini to cut baking time. A nice dinner with crusty toasted garlic bread. (Ha, ha, I had never scooped out zucchini before so it seemed fumbly. Until I stood the halves on end and scraped down the middle. It was easy that way, maybe will help someone else). :-)"
"Yum! Was short on time, so I started baking the zucchini as I cooked the ground beef mixture. After filling the zucchini I only had to bake for 10 more minutes until they were done. Need to cut sodium in Hubbys diet, so cut cheese in half and used no salt ketchup. I think next time I will add a jalapeno to give it a kick since my version lacks the salt. Even as a low sodium version they were still very good without the kick! Definitely will make again! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Made this, substitued sweet Italian sausage for the ground beef..delicious."
"Following another suggestion I used 1 cup salsa instead of ketchup to give it more flavor. I also used Mexican cheese instead of cheddar and didn't use mushrooms as I didn't have any on hand. I appreciated a stuffed zucchini recipe with ground beef instead of sausage and this was a nice way to use up too much zucchini."
"Awful, nothing good to say about this"
"I had a small amount of ground beef I needed to use so when this popped up in my daily e-mail I thought a 1/2 recipe was the perfect way to use it . I thought it was easy to prepare and pretty tasty but a little bland for my taste so I topped it with a little salsa and it was delicious. Very easy to halve since I just needed 2 zucchini halves. I would definitely make this again."
"I am a vegetarian so I skipped the beef. It turned out great. Next time I'm going to try meatless crumbles."
"I made these last night and they were delicious. I used 1 cup of medium salsa instead of the ketchup which gave it a little extra flavor. I will definitely make these again. Oh, and anyone looking for the nutritional info, it is posted just below the recipe."
"This was good, but please is there any way to get the nutrition info? I ended up leaving out the mushrooms because my hubby doesn't like them and it turned out very good."