- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion and pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in seasonings, vegetables, water and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings
Reviews forZucchini Beef Skillet
"A little on the bland side. I had to dump a bunch of salsa in it, and then it was pretty good."
"This was delicious and only took about 30 minutes to throw together. The only change I made was to add a teaspoon of creole season for a little more flavor."
"A fantastic way to use up summer produce! You definitely get your veggies with this scrumptious meal. It reminded my husband of a simple meal his mom used to make in the summers to stretch whatever meat they had on hand. It prompted a nice walk down memory lane, so kudos for that alone!The only changes I made to the original recipe were to cook the rice separately as I didn't have instant rice in my pantry (definitely led to the zucchini and beef mixture being much more watery than if I'd used the instant rice in the same pot--if I do this again, I'll cut the water in half or eliminate it altogether), and using a yellow summer squash in place of one of the zucchini called for since I only had two of those. We also added Cajun-Creole seasoning to the final dish for some extra flavor (the basic recipe turns out slightly on the bland side without a little something extra) and eliminated the cheese due to dietary restrictions. When I make this again, I might swap bulk Italian sausage for the ground beef."