Zucchini Beef Lasagna
"This fresh-tasting and mildly seasoned Italian entree is a real crowd-pleaser," remarks Brenda Tumasone of Newhall, California.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package (16 ounces) lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and cooked
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, bay leaves, parsley and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange five noodles over sauce, cutting to fit. Spread with cottage cheese. Cover with five noodles, half of the meat sauce and the zucchini. Cover with five noodles and sour cream. Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 187 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Zucchini Beef Lasagna in Taste of Home August/September 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.