Zucchini Beef Lasagna
"This fresh-tasting and mildly seasoned Italian entree is a real crowd-pleaser," remarks Brenda Tumasone of Newhall, California.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package (16 ounces) lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and cooked
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, bay leaves, parsley and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 5 noodles over sauce, cutting to fit. Spread with cottage cheese. Cover with 5 noodles, half of the meat sauce and the zucchini. Cover with 5 noodles and sour cream. Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 187 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Zucchini Beef Lasagna in Taste of Home August/September 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.