Zucchini Anise Bread
Bushels of late-summer zucchini always put me in the Christmas spirit--thanks to this garden-fresh holiday bread I make. The anise lends a unique licorice-like flavor and fragrance to every piece...and the zucchini gives it such a moist texture.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups shredded peeled zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in zucchini, walnuts, raisins and carrot. Spoon into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 198 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Zucchini Anise Bread in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Sep 24, 2015
I grow zucchini each year and like to try new recipes. This is absolutely a must for baking. Love it and my friends love it. The carrots, raisins, walnuts and zucchini makes it a great breakfast treat!