Ziti with Vegetables
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked ziti or other medium pasta
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place vegetables in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine the oil, butter, basil, marjoram, thyme and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Combine cornstarch, broth and wine or additional broth until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and vegetables to the sauce; toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 181 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2014
This was OK, but next time, I think I might try fresh herbs for additional flavor.
Jan 15, 2012
Yum! We served this as a meatless main dish. We used a 13.25 box of whole wheat penne, had no thyme so omitted it, and used all broth and no wine. We steamed the frozen vegetables for 10 minutes in our Oster food steamer. Delicious!~ Theresa