Sometime I have to double this recipe because my husband has been known to have third or fourth helpings!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 1 Italian sausage link (about 1/4 pound), casing removed
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Crumble sausage into a skillet; add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine the sausage mixture, pasta, spaghetti sauce, wine or broth if desired and seasonings.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 550 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 1306mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Ziti Casserole in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook