Ziti Alfredo with Vegetables
"A creamy dressing, lots of flavor an unexpected hint of nutmeg make this hearty pasta dish so delicious i can't resist fixing it often," relates Emma Magielda of Amsterdam, New York.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender; set aside. Cook ziti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Reduce heat; slowly add milk.
- Stir in half-and-half. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach and onion mixture; heat through. Drain the ziti; toss with vegetable mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 264 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Originally published as Ziti Alfredo with Vegetables in Light & Tasty August/September 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.