- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti or other small tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Reduce heat; slowly add milk. Stir in cream; bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add the Parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the tomatoes, spinach and onion mixture; heat through. Drain pasta; toss with vegetable mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forZiti Alfredo with Vegetables
"Absolutely wonderful! Even better than my full fat version! Thank you!"