"This chunky chicken chili doesn't require any fancy preparation or exotic ingredients," notes Jenny Schmidtbauer of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. "I like to serve the zesty mixture over crunchy tortilla chips," she adds.
Recommended: 38 Ultimate Chili Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Low-fat tortilla chips, optional
- In a saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute chicken and onion until juices run clear; drain if desired. Stir in broth, chilies, garlic powder, oregano, cilantro and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans; cook 10 minutes longer. Serve over tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Zippy White Chili in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p57