Zippy Turkey and Rice
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder and cumin; heat though. Remove from the heat, stir in kidney beans, 1/2 cup cheese and cooked rice.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 294 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 26, 2013
After reading the reviews below, I made some adjustments to the recipe to give it more flavor. I sautéed garlic with the turkey and onions. I also added a small can of green chilies, one jalapeño and some frozen corn to the mixture. I also used a hot picante sauce.It was so flavorful and definitely a keeper.
Sep 24, 2010
We thought this was rather bland and ended up adding a lot of salt. We do like our food spicy, though...so maybe this just wasn't a good fit for us.
Jun 20, 2010
This recipe was very good, and even better with an extra spoonful of picante sauce on top and a small dollop of lite sour cream.
Jun 6, 2010
This is an amazing dish with just the right amount of kick for your taste buds. Very flavorful!! I have four kids & one doesn't do well with spicy foods, so I added a dollup of sour cream just before serving to cool the spice some for her and it actually gave the dish another level of flavor. Try it!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.