Zippy Turkey and Rice
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder and cumin; heat though. Remove from the heat, stir in kidney beans, 1/2 cup cheese and cooked rice.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 294 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 26, 2013
After reading the reviews below, I made some adjustments to the recipe to give it more flavor. I sautéed garlic with the turkey and onions. I also added a small can of green chilies, one jalapeño and some frozen corn to the mixture. I also used a hot picante sauce.It was so flavorful and definitely a keeper.
Sep 24, 2010
We thought this was rather bland and ended up adding a lot of salt. We do like our food spicy, though...so maybe this just wasn't a good fit for us.
Jun 20, 2010
This recipe was very good, and even better with an extra spoonful of picante sauce on top and a small dollop of lite sour cream.
Jun 6, 2010
This is an amazing dish with just the right amount of kick for your taste buds. Very flavorful!! I have four kids & one doesn't do well with spicy foods, so I added a dollup of sour cream just before serving to cool the spice some for her and it actually gave the dish another level of flavor. Try it!!