- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder and cumin; heat though. Remove from the heat, stir in kidney beans, 1/2 cup cheese and cooked rice.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forZippy Turkey and Rice
"After reading the reviews below, I made some adjustments to the recipe to give it more flavor. I sautéed garlic with the turkey and onions. I also added a small can of green chilies, one jalapeño and some frozen corn to the mixture. I also used a hot picante sauce.It was so flavorful and definitely a keeper."
"We thought this was rather bland and ended up adding a lot of salt. We do like our food spicy, though...so maybe this just wasn't a good fit for us."
"This recipe was very good, and even better with an extra spoonful of picante sauce on top and a small dollop of lite sour cream."
"This is an amazing dish with just the right amount of kick for your taste buds. Very flavorful!! I have four kids & one doesn't do well with spicy foods, so I added a dollup of sour cream just before serving to cool the spice some for her and it actually gave the dish another level of flavor. Try it!!"