Zippy Tuna Salad
"With crunchy pecans and sweet pineapple, this tuna salad is my favorite," relates Tammy Toups of Beaumont, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 can (12 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- Dash celery salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Combine pineapple, tuna, eggs, celery and onion. In a small bowl, combine reserved pineapple juice, mayonnaise, mustard and seasonings. Add to tuna mixture; mix well. Chill. Add pecans just before serving.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 260 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Zippy Tuna Salad in Taste of Home February/March 1997
Apr 9, 2011
There is nothing "zippy" about this tuna salad. I'm sorry for saying this, but, I thought this was "the worst" tasting tuna salad I have ever made. I wish I would of made a tuna casserole rather than making this sandwich!!