- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms, peppers and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes and taco seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add beans; simmer 30 minutes longer. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forZippy Three-Bean Chili
"I thought this was very good chili! I loved all the different kinds of beans in it. I stirred just a spoonful of fat-free sour cream into my serving before sprinkling it with the cheese. It was delicious! The only thing I would change next time is that I would add the beans at the beginning of the simmering rather than halfway through. I felt they needed to be more tender...they needed to be cooked longer than just 30 minutes. I think the full hour probably would have done the trick. I might also put a lid on it to help steam the beans into softness, as well. But it was great! I would definitely make it again."