Zippy Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add tomatoes, chilies and 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flour, pepper and remaining salt. Cut steak into serving-size pieces; dredge in flour mixture. In a skillet, brown steak on both sides in remaining oil. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Set aside half of the tomato mixture; pour remaining mixture over steak.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Heat reserved tomato mixture and serve with steak. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 323 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1073mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Reviews for Zippy Swiss Steak
"Wonderful recipe!! Used rotel tomatoes, 3 cans, instead of green chilies and diced tomatoes. Was just spicy enough without being too spicy. I baked the steak with all the sauce. It was delicious!! My husband loved it too!! This will be made again!!"