Zippy Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add tomatoes, chilies and 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flour, pepper and remaining salt. Cut steak into serving-size pieces; dredge in flour mixture. In a skillet, brown steak on both sides in remaining oil. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Set aside half of the tomato mixture; pour remaining mixture over steak.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Heat reserved tomato mixture and serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 323 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1073mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Jun 14, 2014
Wonderful recipe!! Used rotel tomatoes, 3 cans, instead of green chilies and diced tomatoes. Was just spicy enough without being too spicy. I baked the steak with all the sauce. It was delicious!! My husband loved it too!! This will be made again!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.