The taste of this sandwich bake will remind you of pizza. Red tomatoes add color...the cayenne delivers the zip. -Jean Pare`, Vermilion, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 12 slices white bread, divided
- 6 slices process mozzarella cheese
- 15 thin slices tomato
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Line a greased 13x9-in. baking dish with 6 bread slices. Layer with mozzarella cheese, tomato, mushrooms, minced onion and remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, seasonings, milk and eggs until smooth. Pour over bread; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover; bake at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 214 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Zippy Strata in Taste of Home August/September 2000