Zippy Skillet Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute rice in butter for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, pimientos, chili powder, salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 209 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 3, 2017
I made this recipe and made 2 changes: I didn't have regular diced tomatoes, so I used just 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies and omitted the piementos since I didn't have them available!This dish turned out very nicely and I enjoyed it!
Aug 3, 2011
This was very delicious! I added one 8oz can of tomato sauce and it wasn't dry at all. Great flavor.
Jun 14, 2011
Only fair. Somewhat dry.