Zippy Skillet Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute rice in butter for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, pimientos, chili powder, salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 209 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 3, 2017
I made this recipe and made 2 changes: I didn't have regular diced tomatoes, so I used just 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies and omitted the piementos since I didn't have them available!This dish turned out very nicely and I enjoyed it!
Aug 3, 2011
This was very delicious! I added one 8oz can of tomato sauce and it wasn't dry at all. Great flavor.
Jun 14, 2011
Only fair. Somewhat dry.