Zippy Rice Pilaf
"If I need a quick side dish that has flair and flavor, I whip this tasty pilaf in a jiffy on the stovetop," says Elizabeth Perez of Flower Mound, Texas. "The jalapeno pepper, herbs and spices season the rice nicely. It's one of those side dishes that goes well with anything."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the rice and jalapenos; toss to coat. Stir in the broth, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add cilantro. Fluff with a fork; serve immediately.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 147 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Zippy Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty June/July 2003