Zippy Radish Salad
Meet the Cook: I admit to it - the first time I prepared this salad for my husband, he was skeptical! He loved it, though. Served with a rich entree or hot barbecue, it makes a light a refreshing side dish. Growing up during World War II, when food and money were scarce, I learned from my mother how to make a little go a long way. Now that we've retired and moved from the city, we're living in a mountain home we built on the side of the Shenandoah Valley. -Carol Stevens, Basye, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup cubed Swiss cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Leaf lettuce
- In a bowl, combine radishes, cheese and onions. In a small bowl, combine garlic, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; whisk in oil until smooth.
- Pour over radish mixture; toss to coat. Chill for 2 hours. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 168 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Zippy Radish Salad in Country Woman September/October 1996