Zippy Pork Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- Chili powder, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Sour cream, tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat. Brown pork in batches until no longer pink. Add onion; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add beans, tomatoes, water, bouillon and seasonings to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 2 hours. If desired, serve with sour cream, tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Yield: 10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 303 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.